“To be beautiful means to be yourself.
You don’t need to be accepted by others.
You need to accept yourself.”
Each one of us possess unique beauty within to flourish our health. When such inner beauty is in harmony with our whole being; mind-bod-spirit-social connection, our self-healing power is strengthened and our health is optimized. This holistic alignment nurtures our resilience to cope with challenges and ability to enjoy life moments. Those moments are great opportunities to embrace the wholesomeness of our authentic being and can be described as Oishii, a Japanese word for “delicious”, meaning savouring beauty.
The primary aesthetic concept of “beauty” at the heart of traditional Japanese culture is the value of simplicity, impermanence, and harmony in all things, especially with nature. With a strong influence of Confucianism and Zen Buddhism, the appreciation of such holistic beauty of what is and ultimate who we are in daily life is considered as essential for health and wellness of people. “Yojokun” is one of well-written text book on this mindful art of living by the 17th century Samurai Doctor, Ekiken Kaibara.
Savouring is a positive psychology concept that describes a capacity to attend to, appreciate, enhance the positive experience in life. The optimal state of health emphasizes social and personal resources, as well as physical capacities. Such state is defined as “flourishing” where people are able to savour positive emotions, engagement, interest, meaning and purpose regardless of the presence of disease or illness.
I believe that this practice of cultivation and savouring of our unique Delicious Moments provide us opportunities to restore and nourish our sense of integrity and flourish our authentic well-being.
What are YOUR delicious moments?
Some References, Conference Presentation & Related Past Events
2nd International Congress of Naturopathic Medicine, Paris, France 2014
- DELICIOUS MOMENTS: USING THE DAILY EXPERIENCE OF EATING TO HEAL AND RESTORE OUR WHOLESOMENESS/ Moments Gourmands: Comment se Nourrir au Quotidien pour Restaurer notre Nature Profonde
- A Dinner of Delicious Moments in Paris at La Vie d’Ange
- Oishii to Deliciousness – An Inspiration from Traditional Healing to Contemporary Psychotherapy: Keynote Presentation with Dr. Ted Lo
- Workshop: What Are Your Delicious Moments?
- A Dinner of Delicious Moments in Verona at L’orologio
A Dinner of Delicious Moments in Toronto at Boehmer (sponsored by Clinical Cultural Competency Consultants & IMHT), honouring guests at Society for the Study of Psychiatry and Culture 2013 Annual Meeting
- Oishii to Delicious Moments – The preliminary observation from integrating cultures of traditional healing into modern practice of psychotherapy and counselling: Poster Presentation
7th Critical Multicultural Counselling & Psychotherapy Conference 2012 – Integrating Asian Healing Traditions Into Mental Health Care. Ontario Institute for Studies in Education, University of Toronto
- Cultures of Healing: Keynote Address with Dr. Ted Lo
- Sampling of Deliciousness: Naturopathic Integration of Asian Traditional Healing Practices: Keynote Workshop
Mami also continues to facilitate several Delicious Moments events periodically for the organization, corporation, and community while further developing this wellness concept with her mentor, Dr. Ted Lo. If you would like to inquire more information, please contact Mami.